Industries & Practices
We are experienced appellate attorneys, crafting logical, persuasive and, often, winning arguments.
Our appellate lawyers handle all types and aspects of appeals at both the state and federal levels. In crafting briefs and oral arguments, we use our industry knowledge and understanding of the law to build creative and sophisticated appellate arguments that have resulted in favorable decisions for many of our clients. We also handle administrative appeals and writ actions, often representing national and state organizations as amici curiae.
Our skilled team includes former law clerks from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Ohio and Ohio appellate courts. Our team also includes attorneys recognized by the Ohio State Bar Association as certified specialists in appellate law.
Some of our specific services include:
- Counseling on federal and state appellate practice and procedure
- Working with trial counsel to brief important legal issues, preserve issues for review and resolve potential problems before they arise
- Preparing memoranda in support of jurisdiction and opposing jurisdiction in the Supreme Court of Ohio
- Working with attorneys in and outside of Ohio to pursue appeals in Ohio state and federal courts
- Pursuing and defending extraordinary writ actions (mandamus, prohibition, procedendo, etc.)
- Tracking Ohio appellate decisions for trends and developments
- Serving as the voice of national, statewide and other organizations in filing amicus curiae briefs in state and federal courts, including the U.S. Supreme Court
- Pursuing and defending federal and state administrative appeals, including Medicare reimbursement, zoning, school district and other specialized appeals
Class action lawsuit victory
Successfully argued before the Eleventh District Court of Appeals on behalf of the State of Ohio and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) in a case in which the plaintiff attac...More
Landmark court decision ends "eviction by affidavi...
Assisted Bricker lawyers with successfully filing an amicus curiae brief to highlight and end the dehumanizing and negative ramifications of a decades-old “eviction by affidavit” p...More
Landmark court decision ends “eviction by affidavi...
Bricker lawyers successfully filed an amicus curiae brief to highlight and end the dehumanizing and negative ramifications of a decades-old “eviction by affidavit” practice on behalf of...More
Immediate access to construct interstate gas pipel...
Served as appellate counsel in an appeal from a federal district court order granting a natural gas pipeline company immediate access to property in order to construct the pipeline. This was a...More
Have appeared in the highest courts in Ohio and West Virginia, as well as intermediate appellate districts throughout Ohio.More
Appellate victory for joint vocational school dist...
Obtained a favorable appellate decision for a joint vocational school district regarding the district’s ability to consider attendance data within the context of its teacher evaluations....More
DMA amicus briefs
Filed amicus briefs on behalf of oil and gas clients in various Ohio appellate courts and the Ohio Supreme Court regarding the Ohio Dormant Minerals Act.More
False Claims Act Supreme Court amicus brief
Drafted and filed an amicus brief on behalf of a managed care organization in an important False Claims Act case pending before the U.S. Supreme Court. The issues before the Court were whether and ...More
Amicus in support of HHS interpretive rule
Prepared an amicus brief on behalf of the American Hospital Association in support of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) interpretive rule providing guidance on the scope o...More
Amici brief for public owners associations
Represented a consortium of public owners associations as amici before the Supreme Court of Ohio, successfully arguing that public owners in Ohio should not be liable for additional construction co...More