Doug Shevelow’s practice includes litigation and transactional law pertaining to heavy/highway and other construction issues for owners and contractors. Issues include differing site conditions, implied warranty of plans and specifications, underground utility protection, and bid disputes. He has prepared and negotiated numerous general contractor, construction manager-at-risk and design-build construction contracts for contractors and public and private owners, including a $500 million manufacturing plant, a $320 million hospital project and an $80 million wastewater treatment plant rehabilitation. He also serves as a mediator in construction matters, and has conducted numerous bench and jury trials arising out of construction defects, design defects, and contractor claims for additional payment. Doug has successfully represented construction project owners, contractors and design professionals regarding claims for faulty design, project delays, utility interferences and construction defects.
Doug also has significant experience representing clients against citations issued by OSHA and asserting defenses such as employee misconduct, inapplicability of the cited standard, greater hazard, and non-exposure to the hazard.
Doug is a registered professional engineer in the State of Ohio, having practiced engineering for over twelve years before becoming an attorney. This background helps him quickly understand the sorts of technical issues that often arise while practicing construction law.
"Doug represents owners and contractors in connection with a broad range of construction disputes and transactional matters, such as the negotiation of design-build agreements. Interviewees consider him to be "a pragmatic lawyer with good judgment.""
"Our companies have used Bricker & Eckler for several years and continue to be very pleased with the aggressive nature in which they pursue a successful outcome. Doug Shevelow is our primary counsel. We have found his engineering degree and previous construction industry experience provides a significant advantage in reducing the learning curve associated with our legal issues."
"Doug Shevelow is an "excellent lawyer" who commands "a lot of respect." He is "practical, smart, thoughtful and efficient.""
Gallia County Adult Detention Facility Project
Advised regarding procurement and contract documents for new construction of an adult detention facility. The budget was approximately $10 million.
Greene County Jail and Sheriff Office Project
Prepared procurement and contract documents for design professional and construction manager at risk and advised throughout project. The project included new construction of a county jail facility and administration space for the Sheriff’s Office and Cooner’s Office, with the capability for future expansion of the facilities. The budget was approximately $50 million.
First greenfield project in the United States
Represented an international paper products manufacturer in connection with the establishment of the first greenfield project in the United States. This Project involved the creation of a public-private partnership to finance the necessary infrastructure, including a 12-mile gas line. The Bricker team included construction, environmental, public finance and real estate attorneys.
Water/wastewater treatment equipment issues
Represented multiple utilities against different manufacturers of large-scale treatment equipment such as coarse screening equipment, membrane bioreactors, tertiary filters, and nano filtration arrays that did not meet performance expectations.
Defective sanitary sewer construction
Represented five different counties against sewer contractors and their sureties because of defective and incomplete work, leading to settlements between $1 million and $5 million.
Surface water treatment plant delay
Represented a public owner in a lawsuit against a contractor when a $14 million surface water treatment plant was delivered over a year late and the contractor made claims for additional payment.
Delay claims on highway service plaza construction
Represented a heavy/highway contractor against a highway authority in connection with delay claims on the construction of a service plaza.
Regional lift station construction
Represented a developer in trial against a municipality regarding adequacy of design and construction of a regional wastewater lift station.
Representing one of the largest U.S. engineering firms against claims arising out of damages to fiber optic cable during construction of highway interchange.
Represented a self-insured general contractor in a workers' compensation subrogation against a subcontractor responsible for an accident that caused death of an employee on a bridge construction project.
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, "2023 Construction Cost Escalation and Supply," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2023
- Presenter, "Using Term Agreements to Simplify & Streamline Construction Procurement," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Road Use Maintenance Agreements (RUMAs)," The Acronyms of Oil and Gas Law, Columbus Bar Association, September 2017
- Speaker, "Risk Management in Health Care Construction," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, “Sole Source Procurement in Treatment Plant Construction,” CCAO/CEAO Annual Winter Conference, December 5, 2016
- Speaker, “Road Use Maintenance Agreements,” Ohio Township Association Township Law Directors’ Group Meeting, December 2, 2016
- Speaker, seminars sponsored by Bricker & Eckler and other organizations, including Ohio Contractors Association, Ohio Sanitary Engineers Association, County Commissioners’ Association of Ohio, Ohio Society of Professional Engineers, Engineers Foundation of Ohio, Construction Standards Institute, United States Department of Agriculture Rural Development, Professional Land Surveyors of Ohio, and Central Ohio Organization of Public Purchasers.
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2004
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2007
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio, 2013
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law), 2014–2023
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Construction - Band 3, 2021-2023; Band 4, 2015–2020
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Construction Litigation: Business; Environmental), 2017–2021
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012–2014
- Listed, Legal 500
- Recognized, The Ohio Society of Professional Engineers for achieving the highest grade in the state on the 1994 Environmental Engineering Examination for Professional Engineers
- Capital University (J.D., summa cum laude, 2004); Order of the Curia
- The Ohio State University (B.S., Civil Engineering, 1990)
Updated: Sole-source procurement for Ohio public owners, especially with regard to construction of treatment worksMore
ColumbusCEO Magazine Reveals Top Lawyers of 2023, Noting 22 Bricker Graydon Attorneys
Services to compile a comprehensive list of Top Lawyers who are highly recommended by their peers in the industry. The 2023 list features over 750 individual listings of attorneys who were nominated by local lawyers via a survey of Central Ohio attorney peers.More Oct 26, 2023
Bricker Graydon Attorneys Recognized for 2024 “Best Lawyers” Excellence
A total of 68 attorneys were chosen by their peers for recognition in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in America®. This year’s ranking includes six newly-listed Bricker Graydon attorneys and 10 attorneys designated as “Ones to Watch,” a category for up-and-coming lawyers. And five attorneys have been named 2024 “Lawyers of the Year” for their respective practice areas. Only one attorney in each category is recognized as “Lawyer of the Year” in each market.More Aug 17, 2023
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016